Wednesday, August 29, 2007

AUGUST 29TH - When The Levees Broke

Today marks the two-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. For me, it's the day this journey began. My city drowned. My family evacuated. My grandmother died (two weeks later). It shook me up, forced me to re-evaluate my existence. Made me to get up off my comfortable ass and LIVE... make sure my life MEANT something.... to me, and to my community. My life took a sharp unexpected turn that resulted in moving back home, something I never thought I'd do. And now I'm here!

A few weeks ago, a journalist-photographer team from the St. Petersburg Times took an interest in my story - the story of a New Orleans native returning post-Katrina after years of living away. To mark the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, I'd like to share it with you:

Click here to read "The Pull Of New Orleans"

7 comments:

ann said...

dear jenga (and all your friends out there),

I'm verry happy to see that your story found the interest of this newspaper - it's important to let people know about what's going on in New Orleans and how the New Orleanians get their things together 2 years in the aftermath ...
Yesterday my article was published in the German Newspaper "Hamburger Abendblatt" - it's focusing on you and your story and I'm almost overwhelmed by the fact to have "accomplished that personal mission" whithout being a professional journalist, just being a person caring for the City of New Orleans and the people living there. Even when it's in German and the pictures are not available online I'd like to share this with you: http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/
2007/08/28/787109.html.
Just let me know your current adress and I'll send it to you! Love, Ann

Diana said...

That is such great news that your story is getting such positive attention. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Employment is the biggest sticking point, isn't it? Jenga, what do you have in mind besides computer design (if anything)? Or have you thought it out that far yet? Just wondering...

Kiini Ibura said...

There was a time, pre-motherhood, when I would say to Baba, I'm coming home. And he'd say, don't do that. What are you going to do? How are you going to earn a living? Now I only think about moving if/when my way of earning a living has legs and can travel anywhere... like writing books paying my way no matter where i am. but back to you, Jenga, it's a cool article. the photos are great. it's great inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Great article...it captured the essence of you in a nutshell.One would have to spend time with you to get it.You inspire me to live better and to dream bigger than my little mind can ever imagine.Great things are coming your way...

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed that your entire life gets documented? In your world, there's no escape from the media!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenga!
Rhonda (Onda) here. I just wanted to say once again what a pleasure it is to read your blog. Very entertaining and inspiring as well. Give me a call when you have a chance. Say hi to the little one from Adia and I.
peace.